Information Design - Project 2 - Motion Graphic

01/06/2026 - 01/08/2026 (Week 7 - Week 15)
Carren Yeliandi / 0376990
Information Design / Bachelor of Design (Hons.) in Creative Media
Project 2 - Kinetic Typography


TABLE OF CONTENTS






Lectures


Refer to Exercises




Instructions

<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ffL8FDOG1D_-rvpBFwOCeMcIzeEd3jha/preview" width="640" height="480"></iframe>

Project 2A - Kinetic Typography 

We were separated into 2 groups for Project 2A, I was put into group 2. In class, we discussed about what songs should we use, the color palette, typography as well as the references. After a poll, we landed on Imagine Dragon - Thunder due to it's strong beat which should make it easier for us to do. 


After finalizing everything and separating our parts, I moved on to do my part using a tutorial video that I found on Youtube. 

Fig 1. Overall layer of the first part (01/08/26)

Vid 1. First draft (05/06/26)

After in-class consultation, we realized that we have to somehow be more consistent in our style, since they liked my draft, I gave them the link to the tutorial I used. We also specified which colors should be used for which part and where. After which, I searched for more tutorials but tried to add in aspects from the others style to make it more consistent like how one uses 3D so I used a bit of 3D as well to unite the video a bit (Note : I had separated my part into 2 composition to and then use another composition to combine them together, acting as the null object. It helps to organize it a bit).

Fig 2. Compiling both composition (01/08/26)

Vid 2. Final kinetic typography (18/06/26)

After confirming that everything is all good, I proceeded to compile all of our works together to create the final Kinetic Typography for Imagine Dragon - Thunder.

https://youtu.be/r7MfuorMuA4
Vid 3. Final compiled kinetic typography (19/06/26)


Project 2B - Recipe Motion Graphic

Project 2B is an individual project that is connected to Project 1 - Recipe Infographics Poster. We were to make a simple motion graphic using the recipe we used from project 1. Compared to the others, I was very behind on progress for this one as I was still stuck on Project 1. However once completed, I hurriedly started on my motion graphic.

For the ingredients, I decided to just use the opacity and pace them so that it appears one by one. 

Fig 3. Ingredients transition (01/08/26)

For the steps, I decided to use opacity as transitions but other things like pin tool to create a mixing animation as step 1 has a lot of mixing parts so I wanted to make it not too static. To do so, I had to create multiple layers, some using mask tool. The layers consisted of the back of the bowl -> the content of the bowl -> the front of the bowl. This ensures that when I added the mixing spoon, it won't clip through things it shouldn't.

Fig 4. Use of pin tool (01/08/26)

I also used position and rotation to move some of the assets, for example the mixing spoon. Afterwards, I rendered it and moved it to premiere pro where I added in the sound effects and BGM. 

Vid 4. First draft (24/07/26)

During feedback, Mr.Martin suggested I show how the pandan and chocolate sprinkles was added as the final product that I showed at the end of the video had them. He also added that I should showcase the uniqueness of the pan itself since it need a very specific pan. So after that, I proceeded to make the additional assets needed for the improved version which included a pandan paste, chocolate sprinkles, pandan mixture bowl as well as the side view of the pukis pan.

Fig 5. Additional asset vectorization (01/08/26)

After adding in all the additional assets and fixing the pace of the motions, I rendered it and put it in Premiere Pro for sound effect and BGM again. This time, I only use minimal sound effects instead of full on sound effect in every steps.

Fig 6. Overall layers (01/08/26)

Fig 7. Adding sound in Premiere Pro (01/08/26)

Vid 5. Final recipe motion graphic (01/08/26)




Reflections

        It was not so bad but it felt quite overwhelming especially the recipe motion graphic due to how many layers there are and that's just for a one minute video. Overall, I'm glad that I managed to finish on time and the results are quite alright in my opinion.

Comments